Monday, February 7, 2011

Awesome Retro Finds of the Week 03: Apparently Nothing

Another terrible blizzard, leads to people not venturing out to get rid of their stuff and me not going out for fear of icy death. I only went out over the weekend and found nothing but original Xbox games and a plethora of sports titles.

I did, however, go to a different thrift store that I don't normally patronize due to their weird hours. They had all their games locked up in a case, and lo and behold, I found a copy of Star Ocean: The Second Story for PSX!! It was only five smackaroos! 

Quick rule of thumb: if you EVER find old RPGs for under $10 (especially Playstation-era), they are almost always worth picking up. They become increasingly difficult to find as time passes and generally become worth more than what you paid for it.

So I asked the lady behind the counter to open the case for me, and she just kind of stared. "Uh, I don't know if I have a key for that," she admitted. Huh? You put things in a case and now you don't have a key? You had to open it to put the things in it first, so SOMEONE has to have a key. So first she was digging through drawers at the counter trying to find this key. She proceeded to bring out THREE DIFFERENT KEYCHAINS with like ten keys on each one and tried every single one. Of course, the right key was on the third keychain, seven key down. Geez. Shows you how often people buy things out of that case!

So anyway, I got the game out of the case, and opened it, and naturally, it was missing a disc.

I apologized and said that I was sorry to put her through the hassle of finding the key, but it's a two-disc game and I couldn't take it missing the disc. She stared again, and said, "Okay, but leave it out so we can re-price it." Re-price it? You're still gonna sell it missing the disc? Okay....

I mean, I could've bought it, but what's the point? I'll probably never see Star Ocean again in the wild, and if I do I assume it'll be complete, rather than only having one disc - conveniently, the OTHER disc I need.

Though if I do find such a thing later, I will certainly kick myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment