Monday, January 24, 2011

Awesome Retro Finds of the Week 01: Miniature Edition

Throughout the week, I go to various thrift stores looking for retro merchandise. There's even a thrift store on my way to work, which I stop in on an almost-daily basis. Every week I'll post a list of my finds. 

Now for today's thrifty tale: Last week, I found a copy of Street Fighter Alpha 3 (PSX) for $2, only to bring it home and find that my PS2 no longer reads PSX discs. Disappointed, I decided that I'd keep my eyes open for an original PSX the next time I went out.

And what luck! I found this baby at my local Goodwill store:



This is a PSOne, the smaller, redesigned Playstation console. It's about half the size of an original Playstation, and comes in a sexy eggshell white color. I paid $8 for the console and $3 for the controller. The only downside is it didn't come with a power cord, so I'll have to purchase that separately. (Or at least hold out until I find one at a yard sale or something.)

They also got several retro games in, including many old NES games, but those were $4 apiece, cartridge only. I didn't feel it was worth the cost as none of the titles were really that interesting. I did get these two Genesis games though:



1993's X-Men was one of my favorite games as a kid, and probably one of the best X-Men video games in the franchise. Out of This World is a title I'm not familiar with, but after reading about it, it seems to have a cult following and excellent reviews. I look forward to playing it.

Both of these games were $4, and they were complete with the case and instructions. (Though no "special edition" fold-out poster for X-Men...)

I also got my very first Dreamcast game this week!



I just finished Sonic Colors for the Wii, which is actually a really excellent entry in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. I've had a hankering for a good old Sonic game, but it's really a craving that's difficult to sate; the majority of Sonic's 3D outings have been terrible. Sonic Adventure is one of the few exceptions, I've played it on Gamecube and I can't wait to try it out on the Dreamcast! 

The disappointing part about this post is that I have all these neat games, but nothing to play them on! My Genesis has mysteriously vanished (buried in storage from our last move, I suspect), I don't even own a Dreamcast, and now I have a non-working PSOne! Luckily, my boyfriend retrieved his old, original, non-fancy-schmancy Playstation from his old house, which seems to work just fine! It may not be as cute, but it gets the job done! 


No comments:

Post a Comment