Sunday, January 30, 2011

Awesome Retro Finds of the Week 02: Rewind

While I got pretty lucky at the thrift stores the past two weeks, this week was not successful at all! I found a few retro items, like an NES Advantage controller for $4, and some old Genesis sports titles, but ultimately passed on all of these. With the poor weather lately, it's been harder to get out to anywhere further than in my local area. I can't wait until winter passes and it's yard sale season again!

So since I don't have anything for this week, I'll post some finds from a couple of weeks ago, before I launched this blog.


A few weeks ago, I went to a new thrift store for the first time. I found a few items there, lots of game accessories, controllers, a Nintendo Zapper, and some PC games. There were a bunch of original Xbox games but they were still a bit too much (about $7 apiece) to pick up at this time.

I also found a copy of Tekken 3 for Playstation, but it was really horribly scratched up, so I passed. Tekken 3 is an extremely common PSX title, and is always very, very cheap. I'll pick it up sometime in the future.

There were several original Game Boy games, but they were all titles I had zero interest in. Things like the Olsen Twins and Rugrats. I may be a retro gamer, but I'm not a completist: if I have zero desire to play the game, you probably won't see it on this site. (Which is why sports games will also be rare; aside from my lack of interest, they're generally outdated due to real-life roster changes and there's not a lot of demand from retro gamers to play a 10-year-old sports title.)

I wound up picking up the following:



Street Fighter Alpha 3 is probably my most favorite Street Fighter game ever. I bought it for a whopping $2. Sadly, like Tekken 3, the game suffers from terrible scratches all over the back. Unlike Tekken 3, this game isn't nearly as common a find, and I just couldn't pass it up, scratches and all. I got it resurfaced at a local independent game store, but I haven't tried it out yet.

Taz-Mania was $3, Quackshot was $2.

Hopefully this upcoming week is a little better! 

No comments:

Post a Comment